Tuesday, April 24, 2007



A few months ago my next to the oldest son did a post on a pair of old boots. I'm not sure if he was going to throw them away, put them on or what. But as he started to looking at them it brought back a lot of memories. So I thought I would do the same with my roofing hatchet.

Over the last few weeks 2 of my sons have mentioned the times that we were roofing houses and the memories that they of those times. So you may look at the hatchet in the picture and say "thats a roofing hatchet", but its more than a roofing hatchet. It's a memory hatchet. One of the first jobs that my brother and I had, was helping my dad roof. I hated it at the time, but now that I look back on it, I have some very fond memories of our roofing times. It also taught us good work habits.

That is only the begining of the story. After we moved to Freeport, and the boys got older, we also started to roofing houses. I'm sure they did'nt like it any more than I did, but from their own testimonies, they look back on it with fond memories, just as I did. On many Saturdays we would be up at daylite, and on our way to roof a house. When we first started the 2 oldest boys and I would be roofing, while the 2 youngest would be cleaning the yard. We would stay on the roof all day, and then go home to a delicious home cooked meal that my wife and their mother had prepared for us. We always knew that she would be there to meet our needs. She always had two gallons of tea made, one for me, and one for them. Ha. I look back on those times now and have good memories of those times that I had to spend with our boys. We worked, we talked, and we laughed. They also learned what it was to work. They have always been good workers and are to this day. I did'nt tell them that at the time, because I did'nt want them to get the big head, But boys, you did a good job, and I am very proud of you for what you have become. Sweetheart, I'm glad that you were always home when we got home, and just as glad to see us as we were to see you, and always making us feel like men, and bragging on us for what we had accomplished that day. I'm sure ther are a lot of things that I will think of later, that I should have said on this blog, but I will have to say it at another time. So that is not just a picture, it's a memory.

10 comments:

TO BECOME said...

It is a wonderful from where I stood on my side of things. I have always had a very hard working husband,one that went when he didn't want to go, sometimes when the weather was bad, sometimes when he did't feel good at all,When there were other things he would rather have been doing. He went and in the going he taught our sons what it meant to be men. It the fact that you always do what you have the responsibility to do and you do it to the best of your ability.You do it when you want to and when you don't want to. My sons always went and sometimes they all came home looking so tired that my heart would almost break.The mother in me wanted to protect them but it would have been doing them great harm if I had prevented them from learning this great lesson and spending such valuable time with their Dad. I am so glad that I have had a husband that has done the things that need to be done without complaint. I am thankful that I have sons that have grown to be men that we are both very proud to call "Our Sons". Jim I thank you for your giving to me and I thank my sons for loving and respected me. I love you all, Connie and Mom

This was a great post, Hon!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments hon. I love you. Jim

Anonymous said...

Yes it does bring back a lot of members but I am not saying that I want to roof a house agin with you. I can make members in other ways..........lol

Jason

Anonymous said...

To bad Jason, I'm planning a roofing party later in the year. I'm sorry to hear that you don't want to be a part of it. Ha Love Dad

Grandparents Corner said...

I smiled as I read the story of roofing with your sons, and now as I read your comments to each other. Our son is in the US Navy and stationed in another state. We miss him and his loving family so much. It's a blessing to remember special times with family. Thank you for sharing. May God continue to bless your family. ~ Bonnie and Jack

Daniel said...

I have some pretty thrilling memory's about my weed eater, but I guess I'm in the process of still making them!
{Trust me, they aren't all good.}

Your Grandson, Daniel

James McEntire said...

Memories galore!

James

Rita Loca said...

It is funny how time turns hard things into good memories!

TO BECOME said...

Jim, look over on my blog. I have tagged you. I think it will be intresting for us to see what you have been reading. love you, connie

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

THE OLD TEXAS NAIL BENDER

My photo
Freeport, Texas, United States
My name is Jim McEntire. I am 65 years old. I have been married to the same wonderful woman for almost 45 years. We have 5 children,19 grandkids,and 3 great grandkids. I am the second oldest of 5 kids. I was born in Malakoff,Tx. on March 8,1941. We have lived in Freeport,Tx. since 1967. I am a retired carpenter from Dow Chemical Co. We are charter members of Faith Baptist Church in Freeport (the best church in the world).