Monday, September 10, 2007

FIFTY YEARS AND COUNTING

This shelve hung in my mothers house many years. When she passed away several years ago, it became ours, which I suppose was apporiate, because I built this when I was a junior in high school. It was my first woodworking project. It is made of solid mahogany. If my memory serves me right the material cost between 5 and 6 dollars. Now you have to realize that I said if my memory serves me right, which it does'nt always at my age. The same lumber today would probably cost 50 or 60 dollars at least. The shelve use to have a finial on top in the middle. I don't know what happened to it. It was missing when we got it. Maybe one day I will start up the old lathe and turn a new one. The shelve has some nicks and scratches, but I must say that 50 years latter it looks better than it's builder. I enjoy building things, but I don't like finishing, and I remember the teacher that we had. His name was Mr. Phelps and he was a perfectionest. So it seemed like I sanded on it for 6 months. I would sand and sand and sand and he would find a small scratch and it was sand some more. But I must say it did look pretty good when it was finished. I have even thought about sanding it down and refinishing it, but I got to thinking no one can sand me down and refinish me, so why should'nt I let it show it's 50 years also. Until another time, Jim.

6 comments:

TO BECOME said...

Jim, the shelve now holds a lot of memories for me. I am glad that it was your Mother's. That makes it mean all the more to me. Of course the ONE who make it is very special to me even if his memory isn't as good as it used to be. love you, connie

Anonymous said...

Thanks, hon for the kind words. I love you, Jim. (THE OLD TEXAS NAIL BENDER, PROUD HUSBAND OF CONNIES THOUGHTS FROM THE HEART)

KJV Bible Blogging Thoughts said...

Blogger messed up on me, my new blog address is
http://theresamcentire2.blogspot.com

Theresa

TO BECOME said...

I keep coming by here to visit and you are still at "fifty years and counting." I hope to see you here soon. love your,connie

Theresa's Notes said...

Dad,,, it's the new year,, time to post again!!!

TO BECOME said...

Well, it seems almost fifty years since I last had word of you here. I am waiting, love you,connie

THE OLD TEXAS NAIL BENDER

My photo
Freeport, Texas, United States
My name is Jim McEntire. I am 65 years old. I have been married to the same wonderful woman for almost 45 years. We have 5 children,19 grandkids,and 3 great grandkids. I am the second oldest of 5 kids. I was born in Malakoff,Tx. on March 8,1941. We have lived in Freeport,Tx. since 1967. I am a retired carpenter from Dow Chemical Co. We are charter members of Faith Baptist Church in Freeport (the best church in the world).